Workshop: Building a Deployment Pipeline with C# and Cake
Cake is an open source cross-platform build automation tool with a surprisingly rich ecosystem of integrations to third-party tools and services. And the best part is: it uses a beautiful C# DSL that will make you feel right at home.
In this 2-Day workshop, you will learn everything you need to know to automate a complete build and deployment pipeline for a modern ASP.NET Core 3.0 web application using nothing more than C# and Cake. The list of topics include:
- Compiling using MSBuild and the .NET Core CLI tools
- Running automated tests and measuring code coverage
- Building a web front-end using Node.js
- Versioning based on the Git history of the project
- Packaging with NuGet or as regular Zip files
- Packaging the application as a Docker container
- Deploying to an on-premises web server using Octopus Deploy
- Deploying to an Azure Web App using Kudu
- Deploying to a containerized Azure Web App using Docker and the Azure Container Registry
- Integrating with CI servers such as TeamCity, Azure Pipelines and GitHub Actions
- Troubleshooting the pipeline with logging and debugging
By the end of the workshop, you will know how to apply your existing C# and .NET skills to automate a modern build and deployment pipeline — as a bonus, you'll also learn how to write maintainable build scripts that can adapt as the needs of your software change.
Attendees will need to bring a laptop with Windows and the following software installed:
- Visual Studio Code
- PowerShell or Bash
- .NET Core 3.0 SDK
- .NET Framework 4.6.1 or later SDK
- Docker Desktop
Attendees should also have access to a GitHub account.